Many people underestimate the importance of a home maintenance contract. Often, a new home is the most expensive and important investment you’ll ever make, so keeping it in top condition is a no-brainer. However, remembering to repair fencing, service your A/C or even just mow the lawn can prove difficult when you’re caught up with day-to-day life. That’s why hiring a property maintenance company to keep your home in top good condition and provide home improvement advice could be the answer.
Why get a property maintenance contract?
After all the cost and hassle of buying a new property, you might feel like getting a property maintenance contract is a waste of time – but think again. Taking out a maintenance contract on your new home will:
- Save you time and hassle – home maintenance can be time consuming and tedious. It’s also an ongoing task which can be hard to keep up with; a maintenance company will deal with all this for you.
- Protect the value of your home – without regular maintenance, your home will depreciate in value faster than it would if it was properly cared for.
- Keep your home safe – property maintenance companies will ensure that all vital safety tasks are carried out by qualified, trained professionals. This includes boiler servicing and electrical checks.
- Appeal to buyers – a well maintained property will be easier to sell, should you wish to in the future.
- Improve your lifestyle – regular maintenance will keep your home looking great and ensure that it is warm, safe and energy efficient.
- Help in an emergency – maintenance contracts usually cover emergencies. So, if your boiler suddenly breaks down, there’s an electrical fault or your plumbing packs up, your maintenance company will come out straight away to fix the problem.
What type of work will your maintenance contract cover?
Here are some examples of common property maintenance tasks:
Roofing and guttering work
This may include replacing broken tiles, removing moss, waterproofing leaky roofs and fixing defective fascias and soffits. Your gutters will also need to be cleaned at least once a year, preferably at the beginning of autumn to prevent blockages which can lead to leaks and penetrating damp problems. If you have a working fireplace, your chimney will also need to be swept at least once a year to avoid fires and blockages which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Even new properties may experience plumbing problems such as clogged drains and pipes, central heating breakdowns or minor leaks. All plumbing tasks should be carried out by qualified, trained professionals.
Painting and weatherproofing
This particularly applies to external walls which are exposed to the elements; these may need regular plastering and painting to keep them in good condition. Wooden fixtures such as window frames, doors and decking will also need to be re-painted or stained to avoid rotting. Any interior painting, plastering or decorating tasks may need to be carried out over time.
Gardens can quickly become untidy if left to their own devices. To avoid this, mowing, general gardening and tree surgery tasks will need to be regularly carried out. Patios, driveways and paving may need occasional power washing to keep them free from moss and slime. Any fencing may also require weatherproofing or repairs, especially after periods of bad weather.
There are a variety of home safety checks that need to be regularly carried out to keep you and your family safe. These include:
- Appliance servicing – electrical and gas appliances should be regularly serviced.
- Electrical surveys – you should have a full electrical survey at least once every 10 years.
- Boiler servicing – all boilers should be serviced at least once a year. This is particularly important for gas boilers which can leak lethal carbon monoxide if defective.
- Alarm testing – any fire, CCTV and burglar alarm systems should be regularly tested and serviced to make sure they’re running correctly.
If you don’t have time to keep your property clean and tidy it can become a health risk and attract pests. As well as general cleaning tasks, property maintenance companies can arrange professional carpet, curtain and window cleaning services.
Rodent control is essential in Florida. Not only do they spread harmful diseases and bacteria, but their droppings can also cause damage around your home. For example, rodent droppings can damage the insulation in your home. Termites are also issues as they can destroy the exterior and interior of your property. Pests can also damage electrical wires, AC ducts, and plumbing.
Once they get into your home, they can be difficult to eliminate especially if they lay nests and eggs at a rapid pace. Estate maintenance services are therefore required to keep them off your property and out of your home.
Maintenance services you can receive for pest control include:
- Regular inspections of the exterior and interior to spot signs of pests inside and outside of your home
- Interior and exterior crack and crevice service
- Treatments on all perimeters to deter or control pests (non-toxic)
- Cleaning of cobwebs, droppings, wasp nests, dead pests, etc.
- The spraying and or granulating of the perimeters of your home and exterior
- Specific rodent and termite control services if required
Pool and spa maintenance
There is nothing worse than a green pool. Maintenance services can keep your pool sparkly with weekly pool maintenance. If you have a home spa, they will also ensure it is kept clean at all times so you can enjoy it when you return home.
Services included in pool and spa maintenance include:
- Pool repairs and installation of heaters if needed
- Resurfacing of pool or spa
- Acid washing
- Screen repairs
- Screen enclosure construction or installation
Are handyman services included with maintenance services?
Depending on your maintenance contract, you can receive full access to handyman services. These services are essential if you want to keep your home safe throughout bad weather conditions or unpredictable events. Handyman services may also be needed if you plan to have guests over while you are away.
Here are some of the handyman services you can receive with maintenance contracts:
- General repairs to your home that occurred even when you were at home
- Hurricane repair to the interior and exterior of your home
- Pressure washing after a storm
- Painting of the exterior and interior of your property
- Door and screen repairs after bad weather or signs of intrusion
- Water heater repairs
- Maintenance of your garage doors and sliders, including lubrication and repair of mechanical parts if required
- Repair and maintenance of air conditioning systems
- Light bulb replacements for your home and lighting of your landscape
Customized services with maintenance contracts
Property maintenance companies can sometimes offer tailored services for residents. Estate management services, in particular, are very accommodating as they provide luxury home maintenance services to clients. You can speak to the company to find out if they can offer specific services if needed.
For example, if you are planning to have a kitchen or bathroom remodel, they can ensure it is done without you even having to do regular checkups on your property. Some companies have access to contractors who can undertake these or you can hire your own team and have an estate management service provide them with access to your property. Estate management usually holds keys for homeowners but can provide them to guests and contractors with your authorization.
What to Look for in a property maintenance company
Choosing a property maintenance company can be difficult. You need to ensure they are reputable as you will be trusting them with your biggest investment. They should also offer a comprehensive range of services so that you can rely on them no matter what.
There are many property maintenance companies to choose from, here are some tips on what to look for when hiring one:
- Make sure they have valid public indemnity insurance.
- Choose a well-established, local company who isn’t likely to go out of business in the near future.
- Ask for references and follow them up to find out if other customers are happy with the service.
- Make sure you understand all the terms of the maintenance contract before you sign on the dotted line.
Florida Estate Management Services
As a professional estate management company in Florida, we provide comprehensive and tailored maintenance services for your home. Let us ensure the interior and exterior of your home are maintained so you can have peace of mind while you are away.
Contact our team for a full list of services for your property maintenance contract.