Are you heading South for the winter? Use this fall checklist to prepare your vacation home on Jupiter Island.
The enviable setting among waterways is also the reason Jupiter Island, FL is a very high risk hurricane area. Preparing for tropical depressions, storm surges, and hurricanes is second nature for Floridians.
Because hurricane season starts at the beginning of June, your vacation home should be ready. If not, get in touch with Florida Estate Management Services (FEMS) as soon as possible.
There are still three months ahead where your property will be vulnerable to possible severe weather. Now is the perfect time to get these tasks completed to prevent damage and reduce the risk of injury to you and your household during the hurricane season.
Roof and Gutters
Even the name of the season, fall, conjures up images of amber and gold leaves dropping off trees. As pretty as that picture may be in your mind, those leaves can cause havoc with your roof and gutters!
Fallen foliage and other debris that has accumulated in your gutters can lead to serious water damage inside your home if left unattended. To prevent water from seeping into your home and causing damage, you should check your gutters on a regular basis to ensure that they are free of detritus and are not overflowing. It is also a good idea to have your gutters cleaned at least once per year to ensure that they are functioning properly and that they do not have a buildup of debris that will cause them to clog during the rainy season.
While you (or a licensed, bonded, and insured FEMS specialist) are up there:
- Check that there is nothing blocking the joint between the gutter and the downpipes
- Inspect the whole gutter system for wobbly joints and other problems
- Seal any gaps with a gutter sealant.
The winds steadily increase from around 7 mph in August to 11.5 mph in November. Ensure that your roof is structurally sound by checking for any loose or cracked tiles. Attend to any repairs before they develop into costly issues.
While the average temperature on Jupiter is -238OF, the east coast of Florida is still warm and rather muggy during fall.
Schedule an HVAC inspection and maintenance check. An experienced HVAC technician will be able to diagnose and repair any small problems before they become major problems and prevent future breakdowns from occurring down the road.
Inspect the inner coil of your AC system for signs of corrosion or damaged components, which can cause the system to malfunction when you need it most. An annual tune-up will extend the life of your HVAC system and ensure that it is always running as efficiently as possible to save you money on cooling costs down the road.
Exterior of Your Home
Consider pressure cleaning your paving and other exterior surfaces to start the season off sparkling.
In colder climes, outdoor furniture is packed away. Because outdoor living is year-round on the Treasure Coast, it is more important to weatherproof your outdoor furniture.
Crossing over from the exterior to the interior of your Jupiter Island residence, insulate your doors and windows.
The four main tasks to be done in your garden are:
- Rake up fallen leaves.
- Trim and prune plants in anticipation of summer blooms.
- Cut your lawn and aerate the soil.
- Mulch as rainfall lessens.
Interior of Your Home
Create the welcoming hygge feeling by setting up your home:
- Safety first – check the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home and test the batteries once a month.
- Ensure your security alarm system is in good working order before the nights start to get noticeably longer.
- Prepare your fireplace by cleaning out any dust and cobwebs. Store firewood in an area that is safe from the elements as well as away from rodents and other pests.
- Thoroughly spring clean your home in preparation for a mild winter in Florida. Remember your refrigerators, wine coolers, and windows.
- Protect your floors by strategically placing doormats in front of doors and entryways. (Brush them off regularly too.)
- Relax and enjoy your stay in Martin County!
How Florida Estate Management Services Can Help
If all this sounds like a good idea, but you don’t have the time or the inclination to do it all yourself, contact the friendly and experienced team at Florida Estate Management Services. Let us take care of the fall checklist for your vacation home.