You need to protect your vacation home while you’re away. If you’re planning on being away from your home for an extended period, you will have to take special precautions to ensure your property is kept in good condition while you’re gone. Here are some tips from Florida Estate Management Services to help you prepare:
Water Damage Prevention
- Water damage is a major concern, and the main water valves should be shut
- Open all water faucets to relieve pressure in the lines
- Have an estate management service check on the unit regularly. They will make sure there is water in the toilets by flushing them if necessary, as well as check all fixtures
Mold and Mildew Prevention
- To minimize damage caused by mold and mildew, air conditioners should be set at 70 degrees with the humidistat at 55 percent
- Be sure the control remains on the “cool” setting
- Ensure that the condensate drain line is clear
- Clean or replace the air filter.
- Unplug all electrical devices, including TVs, telephones, lamps, etc.
- Do not disconnect your phone service if you have an alarm that works with it
- Check if your smoke detector batteries are in good condition
Furniture and Appliances
- Leave spreads off beds
- Open the sleeper couch
- Stand up pillows
- Keep closet doors, cabinet doors, and furniture drawers ajar for air to circulate
- Remove all movable objects from porches and patios
- Close drapes and blinds
- Stop all deliveries to your home, including newspaper and post office deliveries
- If you have storm shutters, put them in place
Protect Your Vacation Home with Estate Management Service
It is important to have a “house sitter” who can check on the unit regularly while you are away. The sitter should check to make sure that there is water in the toilets. If not, the main water valve should be opened and the toilets flushed. Water can also be allowed to run through all the fixtures to fill the drain traps, after which, water should be secured as described in the first paragraph above.
The house sitter should have your phone number where you can be reached in case of an emergency. It’s a good idea to call the house sitter from time to time as a reminder.
These are the reasonable precautions a homeowner should take before vacating a unit for an extended period. Some associations may have additional rules or suggestions.
What is an Estate Management Service?
An estate management service is a professional service offered by an estate management company to protect your home while you are away. Apart from regular inspections of your home to ensure that it is secure, estate management professionals provide regular checks on the interior and exterior of your property.
While you are away, they will check your home for issues such as water damage or storm damage.
An estate management service also ensures that maintenance takes place in your home. Maintenance includes everything from ensuring your main water valves is off, turning, unplugging appliances, and making sure the AC is running properly. They can also provide additional services such as pool maintenance, lawn care, and cleaning.
Why Do I Need an Estate Management Service?
Do you have a vacation home? There are many reasons why you might need an estate management service, with the main reason being safety. Even in the safest neighborhoods, crime and burglary can occur. Even if the risk is small, an estate management service will ensure you never have to worry about your belongings being stolen or your property being broken into.
Apart from safety issues, a home always requires maintenance. If you are going away for an extended period and you can’t regularly check in, it’s also important to have someone check on your home regularly to make sure everything is running smoothly. An estate management service offers this service. They can help you to check your home and ensure maintenance is carried out to prevent water damage, mold and mildew, and power surges.
You don’t have to worry about your home’s exterior or interior with home management services. An estate management team will do a walk-through of your entire property and regularly check if there are signs of break-ins, pests, damage, etc. They give you peace of mind knowing that your home is being cared for while you are away.
How Do I Choose an Estate Management Service?
When choosing a home watch service, it’s important to do your research and find a reputable company. Here are a few things to consider:
- Do you know anyone who has used their service? Ask for recommendations from friends and family to find a good estate management service, but remember that everyone has different opinions, so do your research even with suggestions from a trusted family member or friend
- Is the company reputable? Look for a company that is licensed and insured to ensure they are legitimate
- What are their reviews like? Check online reviews to see what other customers have said about their experience
- Do they offer the services you need? Schedule a consultation to discuss your specific needs and the services they offer
What Do Florida Estate Management Services Offer?
Life is unpredictable, but the safety of your home doesn’t have to be. Florida Estate Management Services offers a home watch service for your home while you are away. It doesn’t matter if you are going away for a few days or a year – we will ensure your home is kept safe from intrusion and damage.
Our services include comprehensive interior and exterior checks of your home. We do a walk-through of your property, check for water damage, pests, signs of intrusion, mildew, and mold, and even ensure packages are not left outside your home or on your doorstep. Our team can also provide gardening services and maintenance on your property when needed.
Unlike a house-sitter, our estate management services will not live on your property or add to your water and power bills. We simply follow professional and thorough inspection procedures to keep your home safe. If we spot any signs of intrusion or maintenance that are required, we will contact you immediately and help you take steps to have your property taken care of.
Contact Florida Estate Management Services to protect your vacation home while you’re away.